Friday 12 February 2010

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair

An oldie, but goodie, this product has really stood the test of time. I believe it has been around for 30 years or so and I am always finding it in top ten lists in magazines and given great reviews online, which to me is far more important!
I have to stress that I am not at all a skincare expert and what works for me may not work for you. However, this product seems to be one that transcends the skin type boundaries that companies like to label their products with. I think it would work for all skin types, which is great if you are like me and your skin doesn't quite fit into the standard nomenclature. Every time I have a facial or ask a professional about my skin I get different answers. I seem to be floating in the oily/ combination/ sensitive/ sometimes blemish prone area, which makes choosing quite difficult. I normally don't stick to a routine, but give my skin what it needs on a daily basis. Your skin changes every day, and mine is very temperamental depending on the weather/ time of the month/ stress, so I find it best to mix up products.

I won't bore you with the long blurb as this can easily be found on the Lauder site here if you are interested. In my understanding this serum aims to:
  • Repair the appearance of past damage (lines and uneven skintone) using chronolux technology (Environmental stresses can damage your skin cells' DNA, hence if the genes are out of sync the skin can't regenerate effectively and we get wrinkles. ANR helps to synchronize clock genes so that your skin's natural repair process can function optimally at night).
  • Repair the appearance of damage by environmental assaults (UV light, smoke, pollution and even emotional stress).
  • Create an optimal environment for repair by enhancing hydration using Hyaluronic Acid.
  • Soothe the look of daily irritation and builds rich anti-oxidant reserve to help replenish skin's own natural protectants (barrier function).
So in essence it aims to repair past damage and protect the skin from future damage. Pretty much what we all want then!

Now, I can't report on how well it reduces lines as I do not believe in using anti-wrinkle creams at my age (23) and don't believe that girls in their 20s have 'wrinkles' no matter what friends/ companies/ magazines tell me. Yes, I have lines on my forehead because I talk with my eyebrows a lot, but honestly it's not something that causes me anguish. Sometimes I feel like the whole anti-wrinkle cream industry would have us slather babies in the stuff!
I purchased this product in the beginning of December. While at my boyfriend's house my skin had started really acting up due to the freezing snow outside contrasting with the stuffy dry air inside. The heater in his room just blew hot air at me all night and in the morning my skin was as shrivelled as a Twiglet! I have never suffered from dry skin before and none of my moisturisers seemed to make any difference. With the party season looming I decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. In my case this was £36 for 30ml of golden serum.

I have used this product every night since and I can't praise it enough. No, it's not a miracle worker as some would have you believe, but it will give you visible results. Having very fair skin any minor blemish is not only extremely visible, but once gone the redness fades very slowly. I'm talking months. In general I bruise very easily and heal very slowly, a winning combination. Unlike anything I have tried before ANR really does speed up the healing process for me, be it from blemishes, irritation or rashes.

It also helps to keep my skin hydrated without being oily, greasy or taking a long time to soak in. I usually apply about 5 drops after toner and can apply my moisturiser straight away.  In the past if I need to use a moisturiser targeted for acne I would mix in a pump of a richer moisturiser to prevent my skin from drying out. However, if I apply the serum first a light moisturiser is enough. I feel like it makes your moisturiser work better, though that's a little difficult to gauge.

The only part I'm not crazy about is the smell, which is somehow herbal and clinical at the same time, but it is not strong enough to offend, and most people don't seem to find it a problem.

Will I be repurchasing? Yes!! Since the second I lightly touch the corner of a table, or play with Maxie without trimming his claws, I am covered in blue bruises and scratches that won't heal till... Oh who am I kidding I still have a bump from a bruise I got in late 2008! I wish they would make a big enough bottle that I could bathe in!

Have you ever tried any products from the Advanced Night Repair range? What was your experience? Are you tempted to give it a go? Are you bored of my rambling yet ;)? xxx
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I'm definitely curious about buying this myself, as my mom has used this for as long as I can remember and she loves it and has great skin! Thanks for the review x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in Instyles best beauty buys of 2010, I'm certainly curious to test it out. I just put my night cream on as I read this :) I sometimes add a bit of rose oil to my night cream to give me more moisture. Anyhow, ur skin looks amaing whenever I see you, so keep using what you are using! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a few samples...Its good stuff, I am also dying to get my hands on the Idealist Pore Minimising Serum they have...expensive, yes, but AMAZING- had a sample of that too, you need the smallest amount of both serums on a daily basis, so even a sample goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really made me interested in this product. :P I need to get my hands on a sample, before buying. My skin is pretty moody too lately and the cold weather on top of that does its own drying job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, this may be just what I need. I had acne for the past few years, and would also always get marks left behind from blemishes that take forever to go away - I'm talking YEARS and some still have not faded. I've been on Retin-A since last summer, which has finally got rid of my acne, but it seems rather slow at fading the marks, so I've been looking for another serum. I never heard of a product that simply claims to give skin its optimal repair potential... I think I will have to try this :) Also looking up reviews on MUA, I found out there is one product in this line which is the "whitening complex" specifically for uneven skin tone, but apparently only available in Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow granted that this advanced night repair
    product had existed 30 years in the beauty market, it only shows that it is effective enough to stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great points altogether, you just gained a logo new reader.

    What could you suggest about your publish that you made a few days
    in the past? Any certain?
    Feel free to visit my web site - get rid of stretch marks

    ReplyDelete

© Natalya's Beauty Blog- Filthygorgeousmakeup. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig